Recently, residents in ODB may have become aware of one room being gutted as the plaster on the walls was replaced due to mildew and mold. The Quest reached out to Director of Facilities Operations Steve Yeadon to clarify the happenings in the century old dorm building.
Over winter break, a radiator steam pipe in a student’s room broke, which led to a leak. Upon returning for the semester, the student noticed damage from the steam leak and the resulting mildew and mold that grew. “Because the mildew/mold was fresh, it did not require abatement and was cleaned up with the plaster removal. Facilities had to contract the repair works as it was extensive and specialized work,” Yeadon writes in an email interview. “The space is now repaired to new condition with new plaster, paint, and flooring. Any damaged furniture in the space was also replaced.”
According to the CDC, mold may have some health effects on individuals, particularly those with mold allergies or asthma. Symptoms such as a congested nose, wheezing, and red or itchy eyes/skin may occur with exposure, and respiratory tract symptoms, cough, and wheezing may develop in otherwise healthy individuals. Mold can be detected by a musty smell and/or spots and should be removed when noticed.
“There is no risk of mold to residents and there is no widespread issue in the building (or on campus) of mold. This was an isolated incident due to the steam leak,” continues Yeadon. As for the student affected, “none of [their] belonging[s] were damaged and the sleeping room was unaffected,” and “Residence Life worked with [them] to find suitable, alternative accommodations while the work is being completed.”
By Asta Rossi